Monday 16 June 2014

June 16 - Day 13 - Take Your Medicine

Southeastern Alberta goes on forever

June 17, I couldn't resist the Denny's across the road from the campground, with a hot Grand Slam breakfast, fresh coffee, and free wifi, all ready and waiting for me.  I didn't let them down.  Excellent choice I must say, and totally energized my morning as we left Brooks, heading for Medicine Hat, 110km away.  I know from living in Alberta many years ago that everyone here just calls it "The Hat".  It was perfect riding weather in the morning with only a slight headwind, cool temperature, and road conditions were great as they have been for most of Alberta.  Sid and I took a good bite out of the goal for the day with a strong morning stint.

 This is oil and gas country......wells everywhere

I had my second rear flat tire of the trip just west of Suffield, but this one was caused by a spoke that came loose and punctured the tube.  I saved the spoke, fixed the flat, and rode on, knowing that our tentative plans to visit a cycle shop in The Hat were now essential.  The only stop opportunity we encountered was the town of Suffield, a small rural community right on the Trans Canada Highway.  


Side Tracks, Diner/Gas Bar/Convenience Store was right there, so we stopped in for lunch.  One of the best parts of our journey so far has been meeting some really great people, who are obviously interested in our adventure, but we also get a chance to find out a little about them.  We were treated to true Southern Alberta hospitality at Side Tracks, courtesy of Teagan, who made us grilled cheese w/bacon, and some fresh cut fries and home made gravy, that were to die for, and Natalie, who served it up with with a smile.  I hope they are checking this blog to see if I have actually mentioned them as I said I would.  Thank you ladies, you made our day.

Hugh and Natalie

We rolled into The Hat, managed to find Cyclepath bike store, were taken care of as if we were their best customers, then headed over to our HOTEL for the night, thanks to Gord the Great.  Pretty much ready to pass out now, but have to share one more thing with you................

Check out what I found on the highway today

Anyone who knows me has seen my yellow Crocs, well riding along just east of Suffield, after our great lunch, look what I found........I am not shitting you, and Sid will back me up.......is that a coincidence or what!  It looks brand new, and will be hanging off my bike until we reach Newfie.

Goodnight all........Hugh

Good thing, because we have a lot of GAS

World tallest Teepee



No comments:

Post a Comment