Wednesday 23 July 2014

July 22 - Day 48 - The Waterway is the Right Way

Day 2 of the eastern swing was a hot one, but as long as you kept moving it was not all that bad.  The wind picked up occasionally, and although it was usually against or across, (can’t believe I am saying this) it was welcomed for the coolness it provided.  A good omen right out of the chute.......I was approaching a railroad crossing and stuck my hand out to keep the approaching car back behind me, made the crossing, then waved him through.  It was a big boat of a car, probably a buick or chrysler, and it had the license plate    C  2  C     I kid you not!!!

We stopped in at Lock 38 and snapped a few pictures......beautiful all along the Trent/Severn

Keeping the fluids going was very important today, and I’m not sure just how many gallons of liquid I drank, but my last G2 was the sweetest ever.  We stopped at Mac’s on the main street, in the town of Omemee, about 20km from Peterborough.  Sid and I both picked up a drink and a snack, but when we tried to pay, Jag behind the till would have no part of it.  He told us he thought our ride was very courageous, he admired what we were doing, and there was no way we were paying for the drinks.  I’ll tell ya……….time after time it’s the people we meet on this trip just blow you away.  I am still feeling it now, hours after his gesture.  What a wonderful guy.

Our route from Orillia to Peterborough was planned with the intention of using some paved bike trails between Lindsay and Peterborough, but the paver hasn’t quite made it there yet, so we had to adjust things a little, and spend more time on Hwy 7 than anyone on a bicycle should ever have to.  Not a great road if you are on a bike…….more than a few close passes, but we booked the 130km, and totally enjoyed the day.

We had a beautiful stop in Argyl, at the local bakery, owned by the mother-in-law who appeared to be out back doing the baking, but up front are her two daughter-in-laws, who were absolutely charming.  What a great selection of baked goods, and a huge rack of jams, jellies, and other preserved tasty treats.  I only wish I had a way to carry everything I wanted to buy.  If you are ever in Argyl, I totally recommend the cinnamon buns.
Crap!

We decided to ride through Peterborough rather than try and ride around it, and really enjoyed seeing how the city has grown up since the last time I was here, eons ago.  Our camp for the night is in a city run park on the east side of town, that incorporates not only the campground, but playing fields, volleyball courts, hiking and biking trails, and water access (although I am too lazy to go over and check it out).   Really nice here, and very clean.

My office


Unfortunately we are back on Hwy 7 tomorrow for a 130km run to Arden, and it looks like rain, but it is straight, and long, and should be no problem.  Tony is doing a great job, and we are happy he is managing to get a ride in after setting up camp in the afternoon. Talk soon......

Doesn't look like much of a swimming hole



LYJ



No comments:

Post a Comment