Friday 25 July 2014

July 24 - Day 50 - Homecoming in Manotick-tock-tick-tock-tick-tock

Today was very special for a couple of reasons........I knew we would be going to Ottawa following our ride, and having never been there before, I was excited to get it over with, and get in to town for a look at our nations capitol...........but more important, as I mentioned yesterday, Sid was going to be riding back to his old stomping grounds in Manotick, where he spent his younger years and adolescence.  Both events have resulted in a whack of pictures, so I may be better off just showing them to you with comments and the blog would be done for the day.  Ah, probably not.  Way to many gory details to share, so here we go.

Up and at em early at Sharbot Lake, so we can hopefully arrive in good time in Manotick for the trip into Ottawa.  It was really perfect cycling weather, being a little cool to start, but after a few turns of the pedals I warmed up and couldn't have been more comfortable.  The first stop down the road was Perth, where we had arranged to meet Tony at the first Timmy's he saw, hoping to use the wifi to post yesterdays blog (done), and down a cuppa joe and one of my favourite toasted coconut doughnuts.

Mum, I'm in Perth.........sorry, Ontario, not Perthshire, UK

The next town down the road was Smith Falls, and we happened to catch four ladies out for their morning lawn bowling match.  They didn't seem to mind having their game on film, even though we didn't see too many outstanding shots.  The ladies were very interested to know if we had a facility in the Georgian Bay area as they are always trying to expand their network.  Not sure if we do!

Smith Falls Lawn Bowling Club

It was back on the bikes again, with the road getting longer all the time........must be my post doughnut crash.........but with little stops here and there, we gave the legs a break and continued to make good time.  Arriving in North Gower we were both feeling a little peckish, and saw the always welcome Chip Truck sign.  Fifteen minutes later we weren't peckish anymore.

North Gower.......fries'n gravy.......can't believe all the food I am eating

Sid figured we were not too far from Manotick, so with that gravy flowing through my veins, we pushed out for camp.  Somewhere along the line we took a wrong turn, and did a little 5km out and back just to boost the mileage for the day a little.  I have to admit it pissed me off at the time, but then we laughed about it later when I realized Sid was looking for a swing bridge across the channel, which one of the locals told us, "No, that's been gone for years.....piece of junk", but it was a well travelled route back in Sid's day.  

Arriving in Manotick and riding down main street was a real treat.  What a beautiful town, with all the businesses paired up and looking very trendy and hip.  This has become a bedroom community for Ottawa being only 20 minutes or so away.  As we approached a major intersection, Sid said "Come this way", and we turned off the main street and down a short tree lined street.  At the end of the street I saw this...........

Dickinson Street

Across the road I could see a side channel of the Rideau Canal, and to the right, what looked like an old mill on the bank.  We would pick up Tony and return here later, but Sid and I had a quick look around, and I could see he was looking at all that was there, but also what used to be.  Sid's family was responsible for establishing the mill in this location back in 1822.





This was quite a trip down memory lane for Sid, seeing places he remembered from childhood, and sharing stories with us about where he used to swim, fish, and get into trouble.

Some things change, but all things remain the same

It was down the road a piece to camp, so, back on the bikes, and off we went.  The Sleepy Cedars park in Manotick Station is a wonderful place to stay.  If we had a day off, I totally wouldn't mind staying here.  Top marks, and one of the best campgrounds we have stayed at the whole trip.  It may not have the view or setting, but it is as clean as a whistle, and really well equipped.  Tony had the beer on ice, which was most welcome after what I thought would be a short day, turned into 130km or so.  We spruced up and headed into Ottawa, via Manotick, for a few more pictures.

Sid's first school.......built in 41, so would just be 8 years old when Sid walked through its doors



The nations capitol......finally.  We arrived at Parliament Hill to find the entire front lawn roped off for a battle of the bands event.  Not rock n'roll........pipe bands (that's bagpipes) from across Canada were performing this evening, so access for pictures was in question.  we noticed a spot off to one side where we thought we could make it work, but the only question was, where could we change into our bike kits for the pictures?  I noticed a cedar hedge in front of the stone wall to the left of the main building, and thought it might work.  As I was standing there waiting for some tourists to pass by, getting ready to strip off and slide on my bike shorts, I had visions of being arrested for indecent exposure on Parliament Hill, but when the urge to pee hit me, I thought I would vein the papers the next day for sure.  I can see the headlines now.......NUDE CYCLIST URINATES ON PARLIAMENT HILL.  I must say, that anytime you want to just have a quick pee............it takes sooooooo long.

So nothing happened, and here are the results..........



So there is this guy walking around with a $3,000 camera around his neck and I figure he is a good bet to take a great picture of the three of us........saws off the tower!........loser


My parting shot for the day


We finally leave Ontario today.......into Quebec and beyond........cheers all



LYJ










No comments:

Post a Comment